Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pondering Today's Sermon

Time is of the essence so this will be short, but I want to get a few thoughts down on "paper" before they leave my mind.

Our sermon today revolved around Evangelizing Christ's message into the world in a way that is inviting and compassionate, not off-putting and overly righteous. It revolved around the idea of tears for the lost. We should care so much about our fellow brothers and sisters that we literally cry for their salvation. Our own salvation must first be in order. The pastor referred to Romans 9:1-3.

I read the rest of the chapter while he was talking. (this may not be something I should admit.) Anyway, I came across a few scriptures that are particularly pertinent for my life right now and I'd like to share them.

Romans 9:17 (This is the primary verse)

For the scripture says to Pharoah, "I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth."

Romans 9:20-24

But who indeed are you, a human being, to argue with God? Will what is molded say to the one who molds it, "why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one object for special use and another for ordinary use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the objects of wrath that are made for destruction; and what if he has done so in order to make known the riches of his glory for the objects of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory--including us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

My little family has had several crises over the past year and we have endured through prayer and God's MERCY on us. Yesterday another crises loomed before us, one that seemed so shattering that it took our breath away. Yet, the Lord did make us to have a spirit of fear. We should not give in to the anxiety and worry that naturally rises from crisis. He has made us for a purpose and while he has plans to prosper us and not to harm us, we may be subjected to hardships in this life. He has designed us to bring Him glory and to proclaim His name. Whether we are ordinary or extraordinary, we are hear to serve.

Dear Lord,

I come to you in prayer asking for your forgivness. Please forgive me and my husband for our worry. Grant us your mercy and your wisdom. Guide our actions and our thoughts. Make us strong in your word. Grow us so that we may be of use to you. Should Jarred lose his job, Lord, provide for us. Should Jarred keep his job, Lord, guide us. Thank you heavenly Father for your grace and your continued Mercy. We are thankful for our health and our home and our family. Numerous are your blessings and we are thankful.

In Christ's name.

Amen

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you for blessing me with this message today. I know it is coming to you out of fear and pain, but see what it is doing to further the kingdom? I will be praying for you, for your strength but also for your will to be God's will, no matter what.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:19

I love you Johnna, Jarred, and baby Evan.

Rachel said...

Johnna - thank you for being a great example of Christ - you are hurting/scared/worried - yet you still turn it over, thanks for being an encouragement even thru your trials.

We'll be praying that God comforts and provides for you guys!